Personal Injury Compensation
After suffering a personal injury, a victim often wants to seek compensation from the party who caused the incident. This is a perfectly legitimate desire, and laws throughout the country support victims seeking damages.
Gaining personal injury compensation can be a very complex process, and
is often overwhelming for individuals working by themselves,
particularly if you are going up against a business. A personal injury lawyer may be able to help you navigate the legal system and get
compensation for your personal injury. Learn more about your rights and
legal options during a free consultation.
Getting Compensation: What to Do After Your Injury
While an attorney can help guide you through the legal hurdles in a personal injury case, here is information on a few key things you cando before you seek a personal injury settlement. Taking these steps may help you make your case later. These include:
- Take detailed notes about your accident. Memory is notoriously fickle, so it helps to jot down the facts about what caused your injury shortly after it happens. These notes may help in future litigation. Keep a log of your experiences after the injury, including pain, lost time at work and other difficulties.
- Identify potential witnesses that saw you get injured. If you are able, try to get their names and addresses so you can contact them later.
- Document the extent and symptoms of your injury. Keeping a daily journal on the medical consequences of your accident can help you prove a specific amount of damages later in the legal process.Keep receipts from doctor visits, prescriptions filled and any medical equipment you purchase.
- Gather proof of the actual money damages you experience as a result of your accident. These include lost wages, medical bills and missed social events.
By gathering as much information as possible about your accident, you can help your lawyer determine the proper amount of personal injury compensation to seek from the responsible party.
In addition, the more details and documentation you have, the stronger your case may appear.
How Much is My Injury Compensation Worth?
If you have a valid claim, the amount of personal injury compensation you will be able to earn depends on a number of factors. First, there are a few different types of damages you may seek:
- Compensatory Damages are intended to compensate the victim for the amount of money that they lost as a result of their injury. These types of damages could include reimbursement for medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and emotional distress.
- Punitive Damages are awarded in cases where the person who caused the accident acted in an outrageous manner. The goal of these damages is to punish the party who caused the accident.
In most cases, compensatory damages are deemed sufficient to make the plaintiff "whole" again. However, their broad definition means that these can often result in large settlements for injured plaintiffs. To get answers on how much compensation you may be entitled to, contact a local attorney today by completing the free case evaluation form on this page.